SaveAs on macOS Catalina.

Bev In TX countryone77 at gmail.com
Fri May 8 22:37:52 EDT 2020

> On May 8, 2020, at 8:29 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>
> https://bugs.python.org/issue40553
>
> At least a couple of people have had problems using SaveAs from IDLE when running on macOS Catalina.  But Ned Deily cannot reproduce the issue.  I cannot because I have refused the buggy 'upgrade'.  We could use more data.  What do other Catalina Python users experience?
>
> If not an IDLE user, the experiment is easy.
>
> In terminal:
> $ python3 -m idlelib
>
> In IDLE:
> File => New
> File => SaveAs
>
> In the macOS saveas dialog:
> Enter a minimal name that does not match an existing .py name in Documents.  Hit [Save] button.  Does the dialog save and close, or does it clear the Document content list and freeze?
>
> The three Apple apps I looked at, Safari, Maps, and Keynote do not display folder contents.  This might be the problem.  What do other Mac apps do?
That is not the problem.

On macOS The default Save/Save as dialogs are short, only displaying a few major folders along with Favorites and Recents.  That dialog doesn’t display folder contents.  However, you can get an expanded dialog by clicking on the little arrow to the right of the Where box.  Using that dialog allows one to select any folder and displays folder contents.

I tried using both Save and Save as, and was unable to duplicate the problem with either the short or the long dialog.

Python 3.8.2
macOS Catalina 10.15.4

Bev in TX