Python question

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 14:01:11 EDT 2020

On 3/12/20 4:19 PM, Mike Dewhirst wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. How is gmail
> behaviour breaking things?

The problem is if I post to a mailing list from gmail (either the web
interface or Thunderbird via Google's SMTP servers), Google will
silently discard my own message when the list serv echos it back to me.
In the web-based "conversation" view, Google puts my own sent message in
the conversation. However via IMAP I see nothing.  Thus when looking at
my list mail on Thunderbird, my own messages to the list never show up.

Does that make sense?  There was a lot of fuss about this when gmail
first started doing this, but Google ignored it and continues to ignore
this issue. They regard this sort of email use as "legacy."

Here's an old message describing the problem and showing Google's
non-response:
https://support.google.com/mail/forum/AAAAK7un8RUduyrfxS01ac/?hl=en

The only way to prevent this is to send your message via a non-Gmail
SMTP server, and not to put those messages in your Gmail Sent folder.
This runs the risk of messages being flagged as untrustworthy, but as
long as Python's smtp server accepts them, it works.  Of course python's
list messages going out are often flagged as suspicious because they
have our own "from" addresses on them but come through Python's servers.

> I do have a gmail account but don't use it.
>
> As background, I signed up to the Django google-group list and
> traffic there arrives in my Thunderbird client. I also occasionally
> use Roundcube web client for my accounts when travelling. I think
> that might be a php thing.
>
> Maybe there is a case for developing a gmail-like web client?

No the problem has nothing to do with the web interface or the client.
It's a bug/feature of the Google back end.