pyinstaller

Mats Wichmann mats at python.org
Wed Jun 10 12:52:52 EDT 2020

On 6/10/20 8:50 AM, Calvin Spealman wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 10:06 AM Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 11:49 PM Robin Becker <robin at reportlab.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm sure this has come up before, but a tiny pyinstaller created exe is
>> being seen as malware by windows 10.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to create simple single file applications which don't
>> get this treatment?
>>>
>>> The intended users are unlikely to understand how to adjust the scanner
>> to whitelist the application.
>>
>> Tell them to install Python from an official source, and then
>> distribute your application as a single .py (or .pyw) file. Problem
>> solved.
>>

> This is in no way a solution or a reasonable way to distribute software to
> end-users. Please don't give non-answers.

It's perfectly reasonable.  Now that Python is available as an install
from the Microsoft Store, telling people to install that is a far
simpler solution than trying to fight with various bundlers, or with a
virus/malware scanner.

The bundlers have, as far as I can tell, always been a bit problematic.
If they work for you, great, if not... oh, well.  Just look at the
history of "[insert bundler name] not working for me" type questions
over the last decade+ on the internet.

Virus/malware checkers on the hand are their own thing: they decide,
based on collected evidence, that certain attributes/bit patterns/etc.
indicate something nefarious. If you're unlucky enough, always a chance
with binary exe files, data files, etc, to match their heuristics,
you're (potentially) evil, and all you can do is argue with them that
your item is legitimate and they ought update their descriptions.

Microsoft is generally heading in the direction (along the lines of
mobile phone app stores, though it's still a configurable option at the
moment) to consider any installation that doesn't come from an approved
source as doubtful and/or forbidden, and in a corporate setting if they
decide to configure managed systems that way, you're unlikely to win an
argument to allow your little installer.