pyinstaller

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 10:59:09 EDT 2020

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 12:51 AM Calvin Spealman <cspealma at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 10:06 AM Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 11:49 PM Robin Becker <robin at reportlab.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > I'm sure this has come up before, but a tiny pyinstaller created exe is being seen as malware by windows 10.
>> >
>> > Is there any way to create simple single file applications which don't get this treatment?
>> >
>> > The intended users are unlikely to understand how to adjust the scanner to whitelist the application.
>>
>> Tell them to install Python from an official source, and then
>> distribute your application as a single .py (or .pyw) file. Problem
>> solved.
>

> This is in no way a solution or a reasonable way to distribute software to end-users. Please don't give non-answers.

I'm sorry to have used this non-answer myself in the past. I must have
been hallucinating; all those end users that double-click on .py files
and successfully run applications must actually have been figments of
my imagination.

</sarcasm>

This IS a viable way to distribute software. Yes, it means you have to
package everything up into a single .py file, which restricts you a
bit; I'm not sure if it's viable to distribute a .zip file for
importing, but it wasn't last time I did this. But if you can manage
to make a single file out of it, it becomes - effectively - an
application.

Maybe this answer isn't applicable to everyone, but it's unfair to
call it a non-answer.

ChrisA