Trouble with version 3.8

MRAB python at mrabarnett.plus.com
Mon Jun 1 18:53:06 EDT 2020

On 2020-06-01 21:54, Jim Parinisi via Python-list wrote:

>   I had been using python 3.6 on two computers with windows 7 and windows 10.  We bought a windows 10 machine and I installed python 3.8 on it.  Many of my python apps failed with an error similar to this:
>   File "C:\Python38\lib\os.py", line 818, in fsdecode    filename = fspath(filename)  # Does type-checking of `filename`.TypeError: expected str, bytes or os.PathLike object, not list
> I looked online and could not find any solutions to my problem.  So, I uninstalled v3.8 and installed v3.6. Version 3.6 worked.
> Any advice on how to fix version 3.8 would be appreciated.

"an error similar to this"?

Please post the actual traceback.

It would also help if you looked at the traceback for where your code
calls the function from the stdlib and then added some debugging, such
as to a log file, to see what you're passing to the function.

 From what you've provided above, it would appear to be a list, which
appears to be the problem. Where does that list come from?