Suggestions on mechanism or existing code - maintain persistence of file download history

R.Wieser address at not.available
Thu Jan 30 12:08:57 EST 2020

Chris,

> Yes, and then you backpedalled furiously when I showed that
> proper transactions prevent this.

You're a fool, out for a fight.

/You/ might know exactly how to handle a database to make sure its
/transactions/ will not leave the database in a corrupt state, but as I
mentioned a few posts back:

[quote]
 I think that a database is /definitily/ overcomplicating stuff, especially
when looking at the OP who's supposed to write and maintain it.
[/quote]

Mind the part after the comma.

Also, you happily ignored the part in my second post where I mentioned that
corruption can be of a different kind - one that you have absolutily /no/
control over:

[quote]
An unreadable file is often described as being corrupt
[/quote]

> I lost track of what you were actually trying to say.

Well, all that I wanted to say - to the OP - is in my first reply.  You
could always try to re-read it.   The other posts where just responses to
your "that can't be!" challenges to me.

> So either justify this position, showing that a database can
> become corrupted the same way a flat file can,

:-)   In the /same/ way ?    Thats rather multi-interpretable, don't you
think ?   Are you trying to set me up ?

My point was that the /effect/ of a same corruption is different for both:
A flat file is /much/ easier to rescue.

But, do you remember what the OP said ?
[quote]
want to download these as a 'background task'. ... you can CTRL-C out,
[/quote]

Why now do I think that, when such a backgroud process is forgotten and the
'puter switched off, the file, database or otherwise, could easily get
damaged ?  And that a ctrl-c at the wrong moment could cause the same if the
cleanup (of the database, which could easily still be, in its own thread,
busy housekeeping) isn't done correctly.

Also, have you /never/ encountered a corrupted file, database or otherwise ?
You must not have done much with 'puters at all ...

Though I think I'm going to end our conversation here, as you're way more
agressive than the subject calls for.

Goodbye chris.   Have a good life.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser