[Python-ideas] Re: Enhancing Zipapp

Christopher Barker pythonchb at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 21:39:52 EST 2020

I’m a bit unclear on how far this goes: is it just a bit more specific with
more meta-data standards?

Or are you aiming for something that will run without a Python install?

Other issues:

Are you aiming for a bundle that can run on multiple platforms? If so, then
it’ll have to have a way to bundle multiple compiled extensions and select
the right ones at runtime.

If this Is essentially just zipapp with the ability to bundle dependencies,
then you could probably just do some sys.path hackery.

In any case, thus seems like something you could implement, and then see if
people find it useful.

BTW- I’m pretty sure we could simply specify that filenames are utf-8 and
we’d be good to go.

-CHB