[Python-ideas] Enhancing Zipapp

Abdur-Rahmaan Janhangeer arj.python at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 20:48:24 EST 2020

On Tue, 7 Jan 2020, 01:57 Barry Scott, <barry at barrys-emacs.org> wrote:

> Please cover the pro's and con's of the alernatives that have been raised
> as comments
> on this idea, as is usually done for a PEP style document.

Thanks, i don't have much experience writing peps and
if i don't bug you may i ask what "alternatives" refer to?

Also beware that zip file format does not include the encoding of the files
> that are in the
> zip file.

For the encoding of the contents, well since we are
packaging python code files, it's handling will be the same
as handling outside the zip file. It's handling is the
same as how zipapp handles things.

This means that for practical purposes only ASCII filenames are portable
> across
> systems. Is this limitation a problem for this proposal?

If we are talking about filenames, then i guess
ascii filenames are the way to go as you'd
unnecessarily break things otherwise.