Debian testing and virtual environment error message

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 11:04:02 EST 2020

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 2:56 AM songbird <songbird at anthive.com> wrote:

> Chris Angelico wrote:
>
>   ok, i got it to work.  i noticed that there was a 3.8
> version of distutils that was not upgraded to 3.9 so once
> i specifically pulled that in from the unstable Debian
> distribution then it upgraded and my creation of a new
> virtual environment would work without errors.

Ah, yep, that makes sense. I was a tad concerned about the mismatch of
versions, but honestly, I don't think I've ever installed Python from
testing or unstable (unless I'm running the entire distro on testing).
It's much much easier and safer to keep the system Python untouched,
and then build my own from source; my "python3" command, at the
moment, runs 3.10 pre-alpha.

ChrisA