Debian testing and virtual environment error message

songbird songbird at anthive.com
Sat Dec 26 19:26:26 EST 2020

  Simlar to Rich's asking about how to deal with python3.9
I'm not able to to get my virtual environment set up to work
now and I'm not sure how to go about fixing this.

  As it is testing I may have broken it somehow but I do not
know how to fix this.

  I asked on the Debian user mailing list and nobody had any
response/ideas.

  Note, this isn't a production system and I don't mind it
being temporarily broken, but I also would like to know what
is going on and how to fix this sort of thing.

  I do have python-is-python3 package installed and there are
no python2 programs anywhere on this system that I know of.

  When i run the command:

=====
$ cd /home/me/src/salsa
$ python -m venv env

  setting up virtual environment /home/me/src/salsa/env
The virtual environment was not created successfully because ensurepip is not
available.  On Debian/Ubuntu systems, you need to install the python3-venv
package using the following command.

    apt-get install python3-venv

You may need to use sudo with that command.  After installing the python3-venv
package, recreate your virtual environment.

Failing command: ['/home/me/src/salsa/env/bin/python', '-Im', 'ensurepip', '--upgrade', '--default-pip']

=====

  The package mentioned is installed:

=====

$ dpkg -l | grep python3-venv
ii  python3-venv                         3.9.0-4                        amd64        pyvenv-3 binary for python3 (default python3 version)

=====

  Also the following looks interesting but I'm not sure why there
is no 3.9 version available:

=====
$ dpkg -l | grep python-is
ii  python-is-python3                    3.8.6-3                        all          symlinks /usr/bin/python to python3
# su -
  entered password
# apt-get install python-is-python3 -t unstable
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
python-is-python3 is already the newest version (3.8.6-3).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 250 not upgraded.

=====

  any ideas?  :)  thanks!

  songbird