FW: pip not recognized

Mats Wichmann mats at python.org
Sat Aug 29 12:58:18 EDT 2020

On 8/27/20 2:18 PM, gpostle500 wrote:

> -------- Original message --------From: geoff postle <gpostle500 at gmail.com> Date: 8/27/20  12:08 PM  (GMT-08:00) To: python-list at python.org Subject: pip not recognized Hey just downloaded the 3.8.5 and when I search for pip in cmd it doesn’t show up and says not recognized. Trying to figure out why that is since I didn’t change the default selection and left the box with pip checked  Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Use

py -m pip

pip-the-command goes in a different directory on Windows, which probably
didn't get added to your PATH - but you probably don't want to do that
anyway.

e.g. if Python was in

\Users\geoff\AppData\Local\Progrms\Python38

then the pip command will be in

\Users\geoff\AppData\Local\Progrms\Python38\Scripts

But use it as a module - you have a better chance of package installs
staying in sync with the version of Python you use, eventually there
will probably be several of those....