Issue in installing Python (Windows 10)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Aug 24 14:32:07 EDT 2020

On 8/23/2020 12:39 PM, Debasis Chatterjee wrote:

> I started off by using "python-3.8.5.exe".

32-bit Windows installer?  Windows version might be relevant.

> I use "Run as Administrator" option to click this (provide my local-admin
> username/pwd).

> After this, I see python shell available. But no IDLE. Not sure why?

You mean no IDLE entry on Python 3.8 directory on Start menu?

Installer has a checkbox for tkinter and IDLE.  It is on by default for
a fresh install but I expect it defaults to previous install for reinstalls.

On a command line, run 'python -c "import tkinter' to see if you have
tkinter.  'python -m idlelib' starts IDLE if present.

>  From CMD, I can check "pip list". Surprisingly, it shows me packages that I
> installed earlier, before deinstalling and reinstalling.

De-installing does not remove pythonxy directory if you add anything to it.

> Something is not right. Hence I am trying to make a fresh restart.
>
> One thing odd is that even after removing installed program (Python) from
> control panel, I still find that from "Start".

Have you installed more than one version of Python?  Or both 32 and 64
bit variation of same Python version?

--
Terry Jan Reedy