LittleRookie

Igor Korot ikorot01 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 14:39:48 EDT 2020

Hi, Chris,

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 1:01 PM Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 3:11 AM Igor Korot <ikorot01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Dennis,
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 11:26 AM Dennis Lee Bieber
> > <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 22:23:28 +0000, dbsanznt at gmail.com (Jamelaumn)
> > > declaimed the following:

> > >         You've had lots of answers, but there is one concept that seems to have
> > > not been mentioned.
> > >
> > >         SQL is a (relational) database QUERY language -- but knowing SQL does
> > > not mean you can design a relational database structure. For design, you
> > > should be familiar with at least 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Normal Forms
> > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_normalization
> > > https://www3.ntu.edu.sg/home/ehchua/programming/sql/Relational_Database_Design.html
> >
> > And the best way to LEARN is to go to school ...
>
> You can't learn at home? That's a great pity, given that that's how I
> learned basically everything I know about programming.
>
> If you're sufficiently motivated, you don't need a
> school/university/college. You just need the reference material,
> tutorials, guides, that sort of thing.

While I understand that people are different and all have their preferences
it is best to go to school to learn something (whether the school is online
or not - doesn't matter).
You will be ta;lking to teachers and peers, do the homework (which means
easy exercises) to prove that you learnt something and finally
acquire some connection which will help you along the way.

And what can you learn by reading the WiKi article mentioned
if you don't know how to use them properly (without practicing them)?

BTW, I'm also a self-taught developer, but I did it a long time ago in school
and there were people that helped me understand all those books
we had and I did some exercises.

Thank you.