Final statement from Steering Council on politically-charged commit messages

thronobulax at gmail.com thronobulax at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 23:53:33 EDT 2020

On Monday, August 17, 2020 at 1:26:33 PM UTC-5, Chris Angelico wrote:
> For context, see this commit:
>
> https://github.com/python/peps/commit/0c6427dcec1e98ca0bd46a876a7219ee4a9347f4
>
> The commit message is highly politically charged and is now a
> permanent part of the Python commit history. The Python Steering
> Council has this to say:
>
> https://github.com/python/steering-council/issues/34#issuecomment-675028005
>
> "The SC discussed this and ... we do not deplore the message."
>
> So now we know: go ahead and put all the political messages you like
> into the commit messages, just don't put anything inappropriate into
> the content. White supremacy has been mentioned; who wants to pick the
> next hot topic?
>
> ChrisA

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."

"We welcome a breadth of ideas so long as they agree with our views."

"Truth is a social construct."

"Math is evidence of white oppression."

Hopefully, there are some alt-right programmers that can put this new dalliance with politics to the test.  I, for one, want to watch the absurd right and the even more absurd left eat each each other.