Final statement from Steering Council on politically-charged commit messages

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Wed Aug 19 10:02:46 EDT 2020

On 8/19/20 2:55 AM, J. Pic wrote:

> [...] but still, I
> don't understand how this sentence (changed by the patch):
>
>> When writing English, follow Strunk and White.
>
> Does "uphold relics of white supremacy" (as per the commit message).
>
> Thanks in advance for your simple explanation (I'm not a native
> english speaker).

The purported issue is that Strunk and White itself is doing the upholding.

For example, on a slightly different topic, earlier versions of S&W were
sexist: the examples of men used positive words, while the examples of
women used negative and subservient words.

I have not read S&W myself, and my requests for WS examples have gone
unanswered, so I do not know about the WS aspect.

--
~Ethan~