Helping Windows first time users

boB Stepp robertvstepp at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 16:00:40 EDT 2020

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 2:04 PM Barry Scott <barry at barrys-emacs.org> wrote:

> I post some suggestion to improve the Python installer for Windows
> to better sign post users on the next steps.
>
> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-ideas@python.org/message/TKHID7PMKN5TK5QDQ2BL3G45FYAJNYJX/
>
> It also seems like we could do with drafting the text of a helpful
> reply to help the Windows first time users. This would help folks that
> reply to the Windows first time users to have a quick way to reply
> without drafting the text a reply every time.
>
> What are your thoughts on the installer changes and reply text?

I wonder if the last screen of the installer should have a checkbox,
checked by default, that launches IDLE.  IDLE would then display a
helpful text file on this first launch describing how to use IDLE, how
to find and launch it again, etc.  As well have it describe all of the
help you are advocating here as well.  It would be a minor annoyance
for experienced users to have to uncheck the box before clicking
finish, but I think it might have a good chance of getting new users
off to a reliable start.  Many other Windows program installers are
setup similarly to launch the program being installed.  This is a
little different as IDLE is not Python, but that is a minor quibble, I
think.

--
boB