Helping Windows first time users

Mike Dewhirst miked at dewhirst.com.au
Thu Apr 16 03:45:17 EDT 2020

On 16/04/2020 2:46 pm, DL Neil via Python-list wrote:
> On 16/04/20 3:34 PM, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Apr 2020 19:23:43 +0100, Barry Scott <barry at barrys-emacs.org>
>> declaimed the following:
>>
>>> I post some suggestion to improve the Python installer for Windows
>>> to better sign post users on the next steps.
>>>
>>> https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-ideas@python.org/message/TKHID7PMKN5TK5QDQ2BL3G45FYAJNYJX/
>>>

>>> It also seems like we could do with drafting the text of a helpful
>>> reply to help the Windows first time users. This would help folks that
>>> reply to the Windows first time users to have a quick way to reply
>>> without drafting the text a reply every time.
>>>
>>> What are your thoughts on the installer changes and reply text?
>>
>>     No other Windows installers that I know of provide information on
>> how
>> to use the installed application. Anyone installing software should
>> realize
>> that the installer file itself is just that, an installer, and not be
>> used
>> in attempts to run the installed application, they should look elsewhere
>> for the application itself.
>>
>>     I would also note that there are MANY Python installers for Windows:
>> Python.org, ActiveState, Anaconda, Enthought, and even (for Win10)
>> the M$
>> "app store" has one. Are you proposing that all these sources need to
>> make
>> changes to their distributions?
>

> @Barry's observation is that many first-time Python-on-Windows users
> seem to fail at the first click. (I have also voiced similar concerns
> 'here')

I use Python on both Windows and Linux. Therefore I more or less
disqualify myself from being able to comment. I have found ways to
operate successfully and would only really be able to suggest what works
for me. But I do feel moved to offer my thoughts.

The real solution is to more closely define the target audience plus the
Python precise skill attainment desired.

Carefully describe/define the first-time Python user on Windows. Then
prepare the installer to suit that definition.

The description might specify the level of Windows expertise (or lack
of) in exquisite detail. You need age, gender, education level, etc. You
need a real person in your mind's eye to prepare the product for. You
need to be able to imagine the answer to any question you might ask such
an imaginary person. Plus understanding colleagues if they hear you
asking :)

Maybe the objective is to write hello world or a simple game in a dos
prompt. If gui skill attainment is felt to be important for the defined
audience then hello world would probably be enough.

If the defined neophyte user is sufficiently inexperienced then forget
IDEs and focus only on a text editor with syntax highlighting.

We all know how important virtual envs are and multiple Python installs
but newbies don't need or even want to know that. Time enough to realise
you need it when it solves a future roadblock for you. It is impossible
to get started when confronted with too much information.

The bottom line is that Windows is designed to hide things from the
user. Our new user might be very experienced in MS Office but knows
nothing about the operating system. That means the installer needs to
provide a desktop shortcut which delivers a pre-defined user experience
and from which the user can emerge with clear understanding.

I would suggest one click (double-click actually) to open a command
prompt with the interpreter running ready to accept input. Another which
opened a getting-started document which assumes no prior knowledge but
requires a ready Python interpreter. Finally another entitled "Next
steps". From my perspective the installer should create a desktop folder
called "Python shortcuts" to contain all such clickable nirvana.

Think about a bootstrap track on a disk. There is only enough there to
get to the next step.

> As mentioned, I don't pay the regular 'MSFT-tax'. However, many use
> MS-Windows because that's what they've been given, or must use, at
> their work. I have read articles which suggest that MS-Windows has
> improved to the point of making a good/better dev.platform. Whether
> *I* agree, or not, is of no import in this conversation.

But it is interesting. I use Windows because I have no choice. All my
production machines are non-gui Ubuntu. I started my programming on
non-gui PCs which made it simple with Windows. However, on reading some
of these emails from struggling Windows users it is easy to agree
Windows is not made for new devs.

Cheers

Mike

PS:  I think the installer on Windows should install to a
user-accessible location on the file system - not Program files. When I
first installed Python on Windows the default location was C:\Python24
(I think). New users won't see it there but when they do need to look at
it they will find it much more accessible.

PPS: Christoph Gohlke's work should be formally supported by PSF and
become "Official".