How to get only valid python package index

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 15:44:31 EDT 2019

On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 at 19:15, Vijay Kumar Kamannavar
<vijaykumar.ppsg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hellom
>
> As per https://pypi.org/simple/ we have ~2,00,000 packages. i feel there
> are lot of packages found to be dummy/Experimental. Where can we get the
> properly maintained package list for python?

There is no "properly maintained package list" in the sense that I
suspect you mean it, i.e. a curated list where the maintainers
guarantee a particular level of quality or support for the available
packages. PyPI is an open index and anyone can register an account and
upload packages, without restriction.

> If not, atleast please let me know what kind of strategy i shoud use to
> decide whether package is valid or not?

The responsibility for reviewing and assessing the quality of packages
lies with the user, so you'll need to assess each package for
yourself, in much the same way that you would assess any other open
source package - you can look at existing code, blog posts or articles
to get a sense of what packages are considered good, or "best of
breed", or you can assess the code and documentation against whatever
standards you wish to apply. It shouldn't take long if you read some
articles to get a sense of some of the more well-known packages
(things like requests, numpy, pandas, matplotlib, django, ...) but
what is best for you depends entirely on what you are trying to do
with Python.

Hope this helps,
Paul