How to only read words within brackets/ parentheses (in .txt file) using Python

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Wed Sep 4 11:59:20 EDT 2019

A S wrote:

> I understand that reading lines in .txt files would look something like
> this in Python:
>

> with open('filename','r') as fd:
>    lines = fd.readlines()
>

> However, how do I run my code to only read the words in my .txt files that
> are within each balanced parenthesis?
>
> I am not sure how to go about it, let's say my .txt file contents lines
> like this:
>
> kkkkk;
>
> select xx("xE'", PUT(xx.xxxx.),"'") jdfjhf:jhfjj from xxxx_x_xx_L ;
> quit;

<snip>

> The main idea is to read only these portions of the .txt file (i.e. Those
> within parentheses):
>
>  ("xE'", PUT(xx.xxxx.),"'") jdfjhf:jhfjj from xxxx_x_xx_L ;
> quit;

But jdfjh... is not within parens...
and what about quoted parens "("? Do they count?

You probably need a tokenizer for the SQL dialect used in your "text" file.
But first: can you give a non-technical description of what problem you are
trying to solve instead of how you want to solve it?

Perhaps someone here knows of a better approach than counting parens.