Using Makefiles in Python projects

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 19:21:54 EST 2019

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 11:09 AM Skip Montanaro
<skip.montanaro at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thomas:
>
> > That's why I say "a bit of a hassle". You can get a MSYS set up (whether
> > from Git for Windows or otherwise). You can get it to play nice with the
> > right Python installation and the Python scripts you presumably want to
> > call from the Makefile. But all of that is a bit of a hassle.
>
> I thought recent versions of Win10 had a full Ubuntu subsystem. Before
> that, doesn't something like Cygwin still exist/work?

You have to explicitly install it. But if you're doing any sort of
development on Windows, you almost certainly want either WSL or Git
for Windows, either of which will give you bash.

There's almost no cross-platform option that doesn't need to be
installed everywhere. But you can get close by using something that
"comes for the ride" when you get something else that you'll need, and
neither SCons nor CMake fits that description (neither on Windows nor
on any of my Linux systems), but bash most certainly does. So I'd say
that a bash script is, in a sense, more portable than a SCons system.

ChrisA