Using Makefiles in Python projects

Skip Montanaro skip.montanaro at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 19:09:12 EST 2019

(Sorry, not 100% sure of the credit for this quote, Vitaly, perhaps?)

> >> If your software runs on Windows, of you think it might run on Windows
> >> in the future, maybe consider writing simple Python scripts for
> >> platform-independent tasks rather than makefiles and shell scripts.

Maybe try SCons or CMake for cross-platform functionality?

Chris:

> > Are you assuming that every Windows system has Python, but that you
> > can't get make or bash? Because neither half of that is true. I've
> > happily used makefiles on Windows, and these days, bash is as easy to
> > get hold of as Python is.

Thomas:

> That's why I say "a bit of a hassle". You can get a MSYS set up (whether
> from Git for Windows or otherwise). You can get it to play nice with the
> right Python installation and the Python scripts you presumably want to
> call from the Makefile. But all of that is a bit of a hassle.

I thought recent versions of Win10 had a full Ubuntu subsystem. Before
that, doesn't something like Cygwin still exist/work?

Disclaimer: I am not a Windows person, and managed to avoid it for my
entire career.

Skip