Amber Brown: Batteries Included, But They're Leaking

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun May 19 19:57:03 EDT 2019

On 5/19/2019 5:34 PM, Christian Heimes wrote:

> By the way, I'm working on removing some dead battieres since last year,
> see proto PEP
> https://github.com/tiran/peps/blob/oldbatteries/pep-9999.rst and LWN
> article https://lwn.net/Articles/755229/

Hooray!
I believe that there are other modules, other than distutils, that
others have proposed for deletion after 2.7 expires.

While deleting in 3.9 would be nice, I agree on waiting for 3.10.  Track
issues to fix/enhance could be deleted before that.  For 3.8, I think
deprecation in the docs and possibly PendingDeprecationWarning could be
added anytime up to the .rc.

colorsys, color conversion functions between RGB, YIQ, HLS, and HSV
coordinate systems, seems like it should still be useful.  Looking for
substututes on pypi, I found

pyrgb: color conversion functions - RGB, HSV, HSL, CMYK
This needs YIQ to be a superset of colorsys.  Py version unspecified.

colorutils: among other things, conversions between RGB tuples,
6-character HEX strings, 3-character HEX strings, WEB, YIQ, and HSV.
WEB is a 'well-known' color name, when available, such as 'SeaGreen'.
(Tk names would be helpful for tkinter programming.  HEX is used in Tk.)
This needs HSL to be a superset.  2.7, last release 5/25/2015

Conclusion: colorsys could be pretty well replaced by an improved
version of either package.

In the Linux World comments, k8to says "For a silly data point, I still
have code that I still run that process amiga data files that I use in
an archival project. I'm a little sad about some of the modules I use
being removed from python.  I'm sure I can work around the problem
though, as I only run the code locally."

My thought: who better to maintain an atari date file library than
someone who still processes such libraries?  So publicize the PEP and
encourage experts in old protocols to maintain the corresponding code.

--
Terry Jan Reedy