Amber Brown: Batteries Included, But They're Leaking

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun May 19 19:03:06 EDT 2019

On 5/19/2019 4:48 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 5:41 AM John Ladasky <john_ladasky at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Saturday, May 18, 2019 at 2:21:59 PM UTC-7, Paul Rubin wrote:
>>> http://pyfound.blogspot.com/2019/05/amber-brown-batteries-included-but.html
>>>
>>> This was a controversial talk at the Python language summit, giving
>>> various criticisms of Python's standard library,
>>
>> I will try to find some time to read through Amber Brown's remarks.
>
> I'll make a few comments too.

I read them and the read what I concluded is yet another useless,
contradictory, rant based partly on ignorance and mis-information.

You corrected some of the latter.

>> Brown said her point was to move asyncio to PyPI, along with most new
>> feature development. “We should embrace PyPI,” she exhorted.
>
> This is the only "action item" I've found in the entire rant.

The disinformation is the implication that core developers have not
embraced pypi.  But anyone reading this list and python-ideas would know
that it is mostly users pushing for new modules and some particular
features in the stdlib and core developers saying "Whoo, we are already
overloaded.  Start something on pypi first and *maybe* we will consider
it later."

I think her main point is that she, a twisted developer, is mad and
thinks it unfair that competitor asyncio was privileged by being allowed
to be developed in the stdlib.  Hence, "Ever since asyncio was announced
she has had to explain why Twisted is still worthwhile". And hence her
wish that it, in particular, be relegated to being one competitor among
others on pypi.

--
Terry Jan Reedy