System Beep?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 11:30:00 EST 2019

On Sat, Mar 9, 2019 at 10:33 PM Karsten Hilbert <Karsten.Hilbert at gmx.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 09, 2019 at 11:55:03AM +1300, DL Neil wrote:
>
> > You've piqued my interest. I haven't worked with sound using Python, but a
> > future project, presently graphics/video, could easily expand...
> >
> > I don't think it is an OpSys fault, per-se. Someone with some Python-audio,
> > indeed Linux-audio (in my case) experience may well blow-apart my theory,
> > but here goes (E&OE):
> >
> > Python print()s to files. Normally the shell and a running program will
> > print() to the screen. This can be piped or re-directed to a disk-file (for
> > example). Thus, many such implementations have no bell to ring!
>
> Well, "back in the days", there was a known difference
> between "playing music" and beeping the system speaker.

Speak for yourself! I played music on the system speaker....

Okay, it was one-bit music, but still! If you don't have a sound card,
PC Speaker Music is all you have!

I probably still know all the frequencies for musical notes - 262Hz
for middle C, 277 for C#, 294 for D... ahh, old memories.

:)

ChrisA