System Beep?

eryk sun eryksun at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 22:37:11 EST 2019

On 3/8/19, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just tested three of the terminals on my laptop, and none of them
> beep when they receive a BEL.

In Ubuntu, enable sound effects and select an alert sound, and then
enable "Terminal bell" in GNOME Terminal's preferences.

In Windows, the console calls PlaySound to play the "SystemHand" (i.e.
"Critical Stop") sound. If there's no sound defined for that event,
the system plays the ".Default" (i.e. "Default Beep") sound, and if
that's also not defined and system sounds are enabled, it defaults to
a simple tone.