EuroPython 2019: Beginners’ Day Workshop

M.-A. Lemburg mal at europython.eu
Thu Jun 20 10:40:26 EDT 2019

If you’re new to Python, you should come to our friendly, welcoming
and helpful Beginners’ Day Workshop. We cater to new Pythonistas of
all levels: from absolute beginners through to experienced programmers
encountering Python for the first time.

	* https://ep2019.europython.eu/events/beginners-day/ *

What is Beginners’ Day ?
------------------------

Beginners’ day welcomes and supports folks who are new to Python
programming. It takes place on Tuesday 9th July, from 9:30 - 16:00 at
the workshop venue, FHNW Campus Muttenz. Just in time to get you ready
for all the talks which follow on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday !
It’s also a great place to make friends with fellow attendees and
figure out how to get the most out of EuroPython.

Bring your laptop, because this will be a hands-on session!

The day will start with workshops to give you the chance to try out
Python in lots of different situations: making a game, creating a
website, programming embedded devices or telling stories with data (in
a Jupyter notebook). Later in the day you’ll have an opportunity to
further explore those aspects of Python which appeal to you with the
support of a team of experienced and helpful mentors. We’ll end the
day with a question and answer session about Python, EuroPython and
the wider Python ecosystem.

The emphasis will be in creating a fun, supportive and useful path
into the Python programming language and its community.

Sign up for Beginners’ Day
--------------------------

You will need a conference pass to attend, but otherwise, it’s free,
so if you’re thinking of coming to the conference, but you’re new to
Python or programming, this could be the session for you:

    https://ep2019.europython.eu/registration/buy-tickets/

The session will be presented in English (although our mentors will
typically speak a few other languages as well).

If you’d like to come, please do register in advance for this session,
so that we know how to plan to make it the best yet. We need to know
the numbers for planing the workshop.

Sign up for Beginners’ Day here:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScBSJ8y--ROBI7HDQ01H1Cn9RI9amC9mRoOJMEppOmbZv0pMA/viewform

Call for Mentors
----------------

The workshop is being organised by experienced Python programmer and
educator, Nicholas H.Tollervey.

Already know Python? Do you value working in an open, inclusive and
collaborative way? Want to develop your mentorship skills? Fantastic!

We’re looking for folks with the technical skills, patience, humour
and empathy to work with beginners who may come from a wide variety of
backgrounds and levels of experience. It’s rewarding, fun and a great
way to give back to the community.

We’d especially love to hear from you if you can add an extra language
to help non-English speakers feel comfortable asking questions, or if
you’ve never mentored before and want to try to share your knowledge
for the first time. This is a supportive environment for both beginner
programmers AND beginner mentors. :-)

Please sign up as a mentor on our mentor registration form:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdkphUVi_vplS7yvxI432R03BJPCapv-K29p1EPA0F5Tn8qhA/viewform

Dates and Venues
----------------

EuroPython will be held from July 8-14 2019 in Basel, Switzerland, at
the Congress Center Basel (CCB) for the main conference days (Wed-Fri)
and the FHNW Muttenz for the workshops/trainings/sprints days
(Mon-Tue, Sat-Sun).

Tickets can be purchased on our registration page:

    https://ep2019.europython.eu/registration/buy-tickets/

For more details, please have a look at our website and the FAQ:

    https://ep2019.europython.eu/faq

Help spread the word
--------------------

Please help us spread this message by sharing it on your social
networks as widely as possible. Thank you !

Link to the blog post:

https://blog.europython.eu/post/185723885512/europython-2019-beginners-day-workshop

Tweet:

https://twitter.com/europython/status/1141675177400590336