Proper shebang for python3

Dan Sommers 2QdxY4RzWzUUiLuE at potatochowder.com
Wed Jul 24 22:57:57 EDT 2019

On 7/24/19 10:24 PM, Michael Torrie wrote:

 > ... In more recent times, binaries that are mostly applicable to the
 > super user go there.  I don't see why you would want to merge those.
 > A normal user rarely has need of much in /sbin.  Already /bin has way
 > too much stuff in it (although I don't see any other way to
 > practically do it without ridiculous PATHs searching all over the
 > disk).

On ancient file systems (SysV?), ISTR something like 1400 files in a
directory being some sort of limit, or perhaps a major performance
issue.  Separate directories (including /usr/X11/bin) mitigated that,
too.

 > Having said that, I note that on my CentOS 7 workstation, sbin seems
 > to be in the path by default. So that negates my argument I suppose.
 > Although I might have made that change myself.

My .shrc file has all sorts of leftovers from the old days, but my
current Linux PATH is just $HOME/bin, $HOME/local/bin, and /usr/bin.

Get Off My Lawn,
Dan