Proper shebang for python3

Peter J. Holzer hjp-python at hjp.at
Sun Jul 21 09:47:47 EDT 2019

On 2019-07-21 09:04:43 +1000, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 21Jul2019 08:14, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 21, 2019 at 5:26 AM Tim Daneliuk <info at tundraware.com> wrote:
> > > So, no, do NOT encode the hard location - ever.  Always use env to
> > > discover the one that the user has specified.  The only exception
> > > is /bin/sh which - for a variety of reasons - can reliably counted
> > > upon.
> >
> > A quick grep through my $PATH shows that there are a number of
> > executable Python scripts there, including add-apt-repository,
> > calibre, some lilypond stuff, trash-can management, samba-tool, iotop,
> > and youtube-dl. If I have a venv active with, say, Python 3.9, then
> > `/usr/bin/env python` is going to point to Python 3.9. What are the
> > odds that all those scripts will work with Python 3.9 with no
> > libraries installed? Why should typing "youtube-dl B7xai5u_tnk" be
> > affected by a virtual environment, when typing "man youtube-dl"
> > wouldn't be?? Using env for everything is a terrible idea and one that
> > will basically make virtual environments useless.
>
> I'm with Tim Daneliuk. The environment matters and should be honoured except
> in extremely weird cases.

I don't think that all the scripts in /usr/bin are extremely weird
cases.

> If you require a specific outcoming, set a specific environment. It is under
> your control. Control it.
>
> For your specific example, "man youtube-dl" _is_ affected by the
> environment. It honours the $MANPATH variable.

MANPATH is explicitely intended to control man.

But man doesn't fail if you set your PATH to something weird. It will
still invoke /usr/bin/groff even if that isn't in the PATH.
(I expected that there is also an environment variable to control that
but the manpage doesn't mention one).

> For Peter J. Holzer, if we must play the "I've been doing this forever"
> game: I've been sysadmining etc longer than your 25 years and disagree with
> you.

That's fine. Unlike Tim I don't claim that anybody who disagrees with me
must be a newbie.

        hp