Proper shebang for python3

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 19:04:30 EDT 2019

On Sun, Jul 21, 2019 at 8:56 AM Tim Daneliuk <info at tundraware.com> wrote:

> > Using env for everything is a terrible idea and one that
> > will basically make virtual environments useless.
>
> Not if you manage them properly.
>
> Everyone's mileage is different, but when I enter a venv, I ensure everything I do
> there is packaged to work together.  I pip install things in there and ensure
> that the tools I invoke will work in that environment.
>
> In the example you cite, I would simply run the tools in question outside any
> environment where I know they don't work.

Are you aware of every systemwide command that happens to be
implemented in Python, such that you won't execute any of them while
you have the venv active? The ones I mentioned are all installed into
/usr/local/bin or /usr/bin or some other directory on my main $PATH. I
only know they're Python scripts because I just ran "file
/usr/local/bin/*" and had it check them all. If they all reacted to
the activation of a venv, I would have to be extremely careful of
which commands I ever run while a venv is active. Which basically
means I would never activate a venv ever again - not worth it.

ChrisA