the python name

Fri Jan 11 02:12:17 EST 2019

Chris,

On 11/01/19 10:06 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 8:01 AM DL Neil <PythonList at danceswithmice.info> wrote:
>> PS the smart reply: who do you think coded the Alt-Tab window-switching
>> mechanism?
>> or, whose shoulders' do you young, whipper-snappers think you're
>> standing on? (and, "please get down, and go and wash your feet")
>
> Hold on hold on. "Window-switching mechanism"? That implies that you
> have windows to switch between. First, we have to have the concept of
> multiple programs running at once. Then the concept of each of those
> programs having its own isolated display, which you can then switch
> between...

Before Windows or windows per-se, we had switching between Foreground
and Background - but using those terms today encourages people to start
raving about Themes and color choices...

I had people 'on the hook' for quite a while talking about WIMPs. They
thought I was into some long-winded, shaggy-dog style of joke. They had
no concept that what they think of as MS-Windows, or indeed Linux
windows managers; actually consists of a number of inter-related concepts...

> But yeah, "whose shoulders are you standing on" is the right way to
> look at it. Also: "are you offering YOUR shoulders to the next
> generation?"

+1
Excellent!

(and no, in our 'get it done yesterday' environment I see plenty of
collaboration but little meaningful 'training' or investment beyond 'the
job')

--
Regards =dn