the python name

Thu Jan 10 15:58:01 EST 2019

On 11/01/19 8:57 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 6:48 AM DL Neil <PythonList at danceswithmice.info> wrote:
>> Working with a bunch of younger folk (who may technically be of the age
>> of 'grand-children' - pardon me, I almost fell over my (long, grey)
>> beard), I am frequently the butt of their gentle, if ageist, jokes.
>> However, my sardonic amusement is to watch them wrestling with concepts
>> 'we' readily recognise, perhaps from as long ago as mainframe-days.
>
> My Dad was in computing back in the mainframe days, and used to regale
> me with stories of holding a kilobyte of memory. But now I've started
> doing the same sorts of things - I can expound upon the wonders of
> engineering floppy disk boot sectors and finding that one spare byte
> that I could use for something unrelated, or writing MS-DOS TSRs, or
> *avoiding* writing a TSR by having it invoke another program and then
> clean up after itself when that program finished... I distinctly
> remember hooking the Print Screen interrupt to switch from one screen
> to another so that I could play Colossal Caves (aka "ADVENTUR") and
> keep track of which treasures I'd collected. Young folks these days
> would say "why couldn't you just alt-tab"...

Ah yes, the ?good, old, days! Things were so much better then, before
'young experts' came along and complicated 'everything'...

However, as I rock my porch-chair and reminisce, I find that even
nostalgia ain't as good as it once used to be...

PS the smart reply: who do you think coded the Alt-Tab window-switching
mechanism?
or, whose shoulders' do you young, whipper-snappers think you're
standing on? (and, "please get down, and go and wash your feet")

Regards =dn