Web framework for static pages

Tue Aug 13 15:37:52 EDT 2019

On 13/08/19 10:54 PM, Morten W. Petersen wrote:
> I was hoping to avoid testing a lot of different systems, spending time
> there.

Sooner or later you have to make a decision - and be responsible for it
to your clients.

> So that's why I'm asking here.

People here are helpful. The more time you put-in, the more inclined
folk are to help further.

> I don't need a guide to create a website, maybe a refresher on some topics.

Respectfully, and knowing only the little posted here, this seems an
under-statement, eg you don't appear know how HTML5 succeeds and exceeds
XHTML (and has done so for many years). Do you under-estimate how much
things have developed during the last decade?

> Ideally I'd want a static site generator that makes it easy and quick to
> create a website which is pretty, accessible, works across browsers and
> standards compliant and doesn't freeze the browser on a low-end phone.

In, XHTML???

This stuff is not straight-forward. Neither is it Python/a topic for
this list.

Whilst I place myself in the 'master' category for HTML5 development and
cheerfully regard manually knocking-out the likes of an "About Us"
static page using nothing more than a basic editor as "quick and easy",
there is no room for such 'purity' and idealism when phones and
'responsive' elements enter the picture. "Here be dragons"!

I'm wary of claiming such a skill-level in Python - particularly given
its incredibly wide range of application. That side of the process can
be simple or complex - you choose.

[this further to comment after next para]
"Flask" has been mentioned, and over many years Mig has contributed
numbers of tutorials, videos, articles, and books; which IMHO make it
easy to understand that package - and most others (in this category). As
such, I recommend it as a great starting-point, even if that learning
better-equips you to change to something else later!
(see also mention in other contributions to this thread)

> And where it is easy to override using for example plain or template
> HTML, or extend programmatic features using some plugins or just
> subclassing.

Using Python as an 'engine' to generate a web-site, either as a static
file-set or as part of a web server is relatively trivial. Some of your
more detailed specs will likely lead you down one or another path. What
inspiration did you get from reading-up about Flask? Pelican? Other
suggestions made 'here'? In what way did they not meet the mark?

> Do you know of a XML DTD for HTML5 by the way?

See above.
(How is a web page declared to be HTML5, cf any other format? How does
one ensure that a web page is 'HTML5-compliant'? How does/can one do
"pretty" in (X)HTML?)
--
Regards =dn