MySQLdb for 3.6 on RHEL7

Larry Martell larry.martell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 15:05:42 EDT 2019

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 2:16 PM Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 1:48 AM Larry Martell <larry.martell at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Not specifically, but that looks like a versioning conflict. Most
> > > likely, your mysqlclient is too old for MySQLdb to connect to.
> > >
> > > Did you get one of them from your system package manager and the other
> > > from pip? If so, try to get both from the same place.
> >
> > So I have MySQL from the system package manager, but mysqlclient is
> > not available there.
>
> That seems very odd. The mysqlclient binary might be just under a
> different name? I'm not familiar with RHEL, but on my Debian, there
> are packages like "mysql-server-5.7" and corresponding
> "mysql-client-5.7". Or do you mean the Python client?

Yes, the python client, which is called mysqlclient but imported as
MySQLdb (https://pypi.org/project/mysqlclient/).

> > And I was not able to get that from pip either,
> > as the install failed. I had to download the source, edit the site.cfg
> > file and build it. But I just found python36-mysql.x86_64 as a package
> > so I uninstalled mysqlclient and installed that from the repo.

The reason that would not install from pip was because the path to
mysql_config was not correct in site.cfg - once I changed that I was
able to build it, but then it gave the other error.

> Based on this, I'm thinking possibly you meant the Python client. It
> may still be that you need to install the C client for the Python one
> to connect to. Although.... if you got python36-mysql from your system
> repo, that ought to drag in the appropriate mysqlclient. So now I'm
> very confused.
>
> > That did not get the above error, but now I get this:
> >
> >     raise ImproperlyConfigured('mysqlclient 1.3.13 or newer is
> > required; you have %s.' % Database.__version__)
> > django.core.exceptions.ImproperlyConfigured: mysqlclient 1.3.13 or
> > newer is required; you have 1.3.12.
>
> This claims to be a Django error, though, so maybe the issue here
> isn't with MySQLdb but with Django?? Maybe everything up above is
> actually correctly matched, but too old?

I got around that by changing the code in django to not require that version.