Web framework for static pages

Jon Ribbens jon+usenet at unequivocal.eu
Tue Aug 13 08:29:05 EDT 2019

On 2019-08-13, Morten W. Petersen <morphex at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ideally I'd want a static site generator that makes it easy and quick to
> create a website which is pretty, accessible, works across browsers and
> standards compliant and doesn't freeze the browser on a low-end phone.

That isn't what they do. All those requirements are to do with the
HTML templates that you use for the site, regardless of whether it's
a static or dynamic site.

> Do you know of a XML DTD for HTML5 by the way?

There isn't one. However I would very strongly recommend NOT using
XHTML. Nobody uses XHTML and no browsers support it except inasmuch
as they parse it by pretending it's HTML. Just use the HTML
representation of HTML 5.

I think the most commonly-used static site generator is probably
Jekyll. It's in Ruby but that's basically irrelevant unless you're
a Jekyll developer - as a user you just use the Liquid templating
system, which is more-or-less identical to Django's.