Remote/Pair-Programming in-the-cloud

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Aug 2 16:32:38 EDT 2019

On 8/2/2019 5:10 AM, DL Neil wrote:
> Please recommend a Python-friendly, bandwidth-respectful, (but
> effective) system for pair-programming; where the 'pair' are
> geographically separate.

'geographically separate' could range from in the same room to a
continent away, as long as two people have separate keyboards and screens.

> [I don't mind putting a bit of money into a good service, but $free for
> preference and F/LOSS for principle]

<List of apparently unsatisfactory alternatives snipped.>

IDLE is Python-friendly, free, and FOSS.  I wonder how hard it would be
to pair programming connectivity as an extension.  A couple of questions:

1. Do the systems you have considered operate as an editor + satellite
terminal or as synchronized peer editors.

2. Do two systems connect directly peer-to-peer or through a server?

--
Terry Jan Reedy