Remote/Pair-Programming in-the-cloud

Fri Aug 2 05:10:32 EDT 2019

Please recommend a Python-friendly, bandwidth-respectful, (but
effective) system for pair-programming; where the 'pair' are
geographically separate.

Next week is the local PUG's next meeting (details below) billed as a
"Python Hands-On Coding night". I shall be travelling, so can't attend
in-person. The meeting organiser and I are investigating the possibility
of offering remote 'support', enthusiastic at developing the prospect
such extra flexibility may offer...

The PUG will be meeting at the university. I will gain Internet access
from another uni or through a café's wi-fi service.
[I don't mind putting a bit of money into a good service, but $free for
preference and F/LOSS for principle]

I have surveyed various cloud-based services:

- PythonAnywhere: Py3.6, used them in London (UK) perhaps one decade
ago, team/"education" facility appears to work. Am checking with them...

- PythonFiddle: doesn't seem to share

- ShiftEdit: have been awaiting promised credentials-email all day...

- CodeEnvy: Py3.5.1, doesn't seem to allow 'team'

- IdeaOne: doesn't seem to share

- UseTogether: off the air.

- CodeAnywhere: 7-day trial free

and tomorrow will be experimenting with:

- AWS Cloud9: (apparently will run on a small, free, cloud-server)

Then there is the possibility of installing a multi-user editor on my
VPS or in an OpenStack PublicCloud instance:

- Codiad: its need for PHP puts me off (haven't used/configured that
language for >10yrs)

and tomorrow will be reviewing:

- Koding: (no longer offer their own server/services so looks-like I'll
have to dredge-up my inner-SysAdmin - small children should look away now!)

Do you have experience of such remote/shared/pair-programming
facilities? Are you able to recommend software/a platform, please?

*** Meeting ANN email/briefing:
During these meetups, we pull out our own laptops and dig into coding
something meaningful that works. We'll do a quick "round" at the start,
where you can introduce yourself, your project, and any need for
expertise you may have. People tend to wander around, checking out what
others are using Python for, and giving ideas and tips where appropriate.

Get ready to spend quality time on your own projects, on your own
laptop, and catch up on what everyone else is doing.  I'm going to be
working on standing up a Python-based Solid Identity Platform (see
https://www.infoq.com/news/2018/10/solid-identity-platform/) and you can
work with us on your flashiest apps - which we will help you make perfect.
***
(NB within the above quote, the "I" is the mtg organiser, not myself -
although it does sound like an interesting topic...)

--
Regards,
=dn