JPEGImage(<filename>) hangs

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Fri Sep 28 10:01:41 EDT 2018

Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> Brian Oney <brian.j.oney at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Could you please try another tool like `convert'? E.g.
> >
> > $ convert 102_PANA/P1020466.JPG test.png
> >

> > What does that say?
>
> Well, after having returned home with the laptop where this was
> failing and doing exactly the same thing again, it now works.  However
> it did take several seconds before the >>> prompt appeared.
>
> The problem seems to be intermittent as I'm calling the function while
> importing images from a camera SD card and, sometimes, the import
> hangs but most times it works OK.
>
> I'll see if I can see anything common to when it hangs.

... and the result is that it now hangs several images later in the
sequence!  It's almost as if some resource is running out.

If I try convert on the 'problem' image it too hangs absolutely
solidly needing a 'kill -9'.

After some experimentation....  OK, it's some sort of file
accessibility problem between the SD card and the computer:-

    Running 'convert 102_PANA/P1020493.JPG /tmp/xyz.png' hangs

    So 'kill -9' the convert

    Run 'cp 102_PANA/P1020493.JPG /tmp/fred' takes several seconds but returns

    Running 'convert 102_PANA/P1020493.JPG /tmp/xyz.png' now works

    My python program that uses jpegtran now also works OK

Wierd!  However it would seem it's not an issue with Python or the
jpegtran module.

--
Chris Green
·