[OT] master/slave debate in Python

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 16:03:21 EDT 2018

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 5:56 AM Jon Ribbens <jon+usenet at unequivocal.eu> wrote:

> On 2018-09-25, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 1:56 AM Jon Ribbens <jon+usenet at unequivocal.eu> wrote:
> >> Those things might be on topic on python-dev - although I am sure
> >> no-one would thank you for continuing this discussion there - but
> >> this is comp.lang.python/python-list and here this is off-topic.
> >
> > Okay. What *is* on-topic for python-list?
>
> https://www.python.org/community/lists/#comp-lang-python says
>
>   "Pretty much anything Python-related is fair game for discussion"

So.... fair game. Also, read the rest of that sentence.

> *however* it also says
>
>   "Most discussion on comp.lang.python is about developing with
>    Python, not about development of the Python interpreter itself"
>
> and python-dev is clearly the on-topic place for such discussion.

That isn't stating that it's off-topic to discuss the state of the
interpreter and/or language.

> I suggest you also read what the above link says about flamebait,

You mean this?

"Rudeness and personal attacks, even in reaction to blatant flamebait,
are strongly frowned upon."

I was neither rude, nor personally attacking anyone.

> and the Python Community Code of Conduct at
> https://www.python.org/psf/codeofconduct/

If you want to accuse me of a CoC violation, say exactly what you're
accusing me of. To my knowledge, I have not violated it by discussing
this documentation change. Be specific, and don't treat the CoC as an
arbitrary weapon to be threatened.

ChrisA