problem with json.dumps / complexjson.loads in python 3.4 virtualenv

dieter dieter at handshake.de
Wed Sep 5 02:21:22 EDT 2018

"M. Fioretti" <mfioretti at nexaima.net> writes:
> I have an error in a python application that I installed. I already
> opened an issue about it on the application page at github, but I
> would also greatly appreciate any help to (at least) better debug the
> problem, because I urgently need to use that program.
>
> Details:
>
> I need to run the python client for the shaarli bookmarks manager,
> whose home page is https://github.com/shaarli/python-shaarli-client,
> on a Centos release 7.5 x86_64 server. Since that client requires
> python >= 3.4, and I do not want to move the whole server to that
> version, I created a virtualenv following the instructions at
> https://github.com/shaarli/python-shaarli-client/blob/master/docs/user/installation.rst
>
> When I try to run it, I get the error messages that I already reported
> in full at
>
> https://github.com/shaarli/python-shaarli-client/issues/33

Looks like the problem is immediately at the start of the response
(--> "ValueError: Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0)"),
i.e. the server response is not recognizable as a JSON encoded value.

I would debug your "main" program (I would use the
"pdb" module ("Python DeBugger")) and instead of calling "response.json()"
look at the string value of "response" (likely "json.read()").
This might give you some hint why the server failed to produce
an acceptable response.

> as far as I can understand after some searching, it **may** be the
> problem described at
> https://mcgrattan.org/2017/01/24/ordered-json-in-python-with-requests/

It is very unlikely that this is related.