email automation

Ali Rıza KELEŞ ali.r.keles at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 05:31:16 EDT 2018

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 at 09:07, Thomas Jollans <tjol at tjol.eu> wrote:
> > After some basic research I have a few options:
> >
> >      1. Grapple with OpenEMM (interesting software, has python library, still alive and kicking, a bit overkill for my use-case);
> >      2. build on the examples in 'Automate the boring stuff';
>
> From briefly skimming the relevant section, it looks like this gives
> some examples with smtplib and imaplib. That sounds like a good place to
> start!
>
> If you happen to have a server (VPS, Raspberry Pi, PC, whatever) running
> a full MTA that you can forward your emails to, you could feed the
> relevant messages to your script directly with the help of procmail,
> rather than polling an IMAP server.

+1

I experienced procmail and worked like a charm for me, in a case like
yours. My script was parsing emails to grab some URIs of binary
objects and queue them to be processed later.

You can easily trigger a python script and do whatever you need in
that script. If it is a long term process, you should just parse email
and use queues for the rest.

Ali Rıza Keleş