email automation

Thomas Jollans tjol at tjol.eu
Tue Oct 23 04:04:52 EDT 2018

On 22/10/2018 18:35, Brian Oney via Python-list wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I would like to send out custom automated replies to email. In the future, I
> would like to be able to integrate nltk and fuzzy matching if necessary.
>
> After some basic research I have a few options:
>
>      1. Grapple with OpenEMM (interesting software, has python library, still alive and kicking, a bit overkill for my use-case);
>      2. build on the examples in 'Automate the boring stuff';

>From briefly skimming the relevant section, it looks like this gives
some examples with smtplib and imaplib. That sounds like a good place to
start!

If you happen to have a server (VPS, Raspberry Pi, PC, whatever) running
a full MTA that you can forward your emails to, you could feed the
relevant messages to your script directly with the help of procmail,
rather than polling an IMAP server.