distribute python interpreter and dependencies

Thomas Jollans tjol at tjol.eu
Mon Nov 12 19:10:34 EST 2018

On 12/11/2018 17:40, Juan Cristóbal Quesada wrote:
> Hello,
> this is my first mail. I resorted to the list after some prior struggling.

Welcome!

> Im facing the need to distribute a python installation folder and
> interpreter in a shared network drive.
>
> Im also distributing the application's source code that would lie also in
> another network drive.
>
> For this, my attempts have gone towards replicating the python installation
> folder created after installing python27 in one machine and copy all the
> files and directories to the network drive. After that, copied the
> python27.dll of the C:/Windows/System32 file and set all the
> Python27/lib;Python27/DLLs/Python27/Scripts....... to the PATH environment
> variable through a launcher script.

I assume you have a good reason to want to use an old version of Python...

> This works on my machine and a couple others....BUT, not in some other
> machines running as well windows 10 pro.....

In what way does it not work? Is there an error message?

> So i investigated a bit and
> discovered that if i install the python27 (2.7.11 same version) in one of
> those failing machines... the "ctypes.pyd" module's filesize is
> different.... So i replaced the original python27 folders with those of the
> new installed python and now it works on those machines..........havent
> tried yet if it still works on the first ones...
>
> Why is this behaviour? Im guessing the python27 installer generates some
> dlls "on the fly" that are tied to the windows operating system...........
>
> I dont want to create a windows executable via py2exe or
> pyinstaller.......... What are the best steps to make a python interpreter
> available to all windows based different machines? Am i missing something
> else? What are the steps the python windows installer performs in order?

I have no idea what the Python.org installer is doing here, but you
could try one of the other Python distributions (e.g. miniconda)...
MAYBE you'll have more luck with that (Or ActivePython, or WinPython, or
whatever).

-- Thomas