Usenet Gateway

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Thu May 24 10:20:22 EDT 2018

On 2018-05-24, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/23/2018 12:03 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:

>> But IMO email pales in comparison to NNTP when there are more than a
>> few messages per day per group.
>
> This is not my experience at all.  I used to use Usenet back in the day,
> but for nearly the last two decades I've just used mailing lists,
> procmail or other kinds of server-side filtering (including GMail's
> filters)

That's sort of my point: with NNTP, you don't _need_ procmail and
three kinds of filtering in addition to your IMAP client.

> and a good IMAP email client like Thunderbird.  I read several
> high-volume mailing lists this way and it works great. Each mailing
> list goes into its own IMAP folder. The result is identical to
> Usenet in functionality for me.  In fact, Thunderbird can work with
> Usenet and IMAP all at the same time and you'd be hard pressed to
> see any difference.

But you had to jump through hoops with procmail and server/client side
filtering to get there.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I'm not available
                                  at               for comment..