seeking deeper (language theory) reason behind Python design choice

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sun May 13 07:05:48 EDT 2018

On Sat, 12 May 2018 21:42:13 -0500, Python wrote:

> Responding to this further would essentially just require me to
> reiterate what I already wrote--I won't do that.  I'll simply maintain
> that in my rather lenghty experience, this mistake has actually been
> rather rare and has to my knowledge *never* caused a support issue
> requiring a bug fix to production code in projects I've been associated
> with.  It's a useful construction whose detriment has, IMO, been
> completely overblown.

I already linked to the attempt to install a backdoor in the Linux kernel
with this, but even for accidental errors, thirty seconds on the CVE
database finds at least one real-world example:

https://www.cvedetails.com/cve/CVE-2009-4633/

I expect that these days it will be rare, since most C compilers would
default to warning about it if you run with warnings enabled.

--
Steve