seeking deeper (language theory) reason behind Python design choice

Python python at bladeshadow.org
Sat May 12 23:14:50 EDT 2018

On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 01:01:04PM +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:
> That's fine. Your experience has been that it hasn't been a problem;
> other people's experience has been the opposite. I have never
> personally had to deal with bugs in C code where braces are omitted
> and multiple lines indented. Great! But that doesn't mean it's not a
> problem, or at least a risk.

Every line of code you write is a risk, regardless of whether it's in
a class of some language designer's hated constructs, or not... until
your code is thoroughly tested.  [And even then...]

> Guido has firmly stated that this is not going to happen in Python.
> The '=' operator is NOT going to become an expression. You may as well
> stop posting about it, because it's not going to change.

I'm well aware of this too, but I don't think that precludes reasoned
discussion of whether or not the construct is deserving of its most
hated status.  A large portion of what is discussed in this forum is
philosophical, and entirely unpractical.