Leading 0's syntax error in datetime.date module (Python 3.6)

Bob van der Poel bob at mellowood.ca
Thu May 10 22:04:29 EDT 2018

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 6:36 PM, Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net> wrote:

> On Thursday 10 May 2018 20:55:58 bartc wrote:

> > > I think octal is a historical relic from a time when people weren't
> > > yet comfortable with hexadecimal.
> >
> > It's a relic from when machines had word sizes that were multiples of
> > three bits, or were divided up on 3-bit boundaries.
> >
> > --
> > bartc
>
> Maybe so, but isn't it time to fix that?  The first "computer" I ever got
> to take home and learn how it worked, was a Quest Super Elf, had an RCA
> 1802 processor on it. This was winter of 77-78, and it had a monitor
> that spoke hexidecimal. I spent that winter exploring it before I set
> out to write the program it would run until June 30th 2008 when we
> switched from Never Twice Same Color to digital.
>
> So other than the *nix chmod, and some similar stuff in
> os9/nitros9/amigados, I have never had to deal with octal. I'm sure the
> security people would be pleased if another bit could be expanded into
> the permissions that chmod controls, so lets deprecate octal and be done
> with it. Computers haven't read a single 8 bit byte in years, some
> reading 128 or 256 bits in a single read cycle today. Bring the language
> into the 21st century.
>
> Its a dirty job, but somebody will have to do it eventually, why not now?

I agree with my freind Gene! And, if it is really necessary to retain
octal, why not preface it with anything BUT a "0". I've been hit by this a
few times in the past. I used lots of hex over the years, but don't recall
ever using octal ... except in frustrating moments when I needed to change
permission bits.

--

**** Listen to my FREE CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: bob at mellowood.ca