Leading 0's syntax error in datetime.date module (Python 3.6)

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Thu May 10 21:36:26 EDT 2018

On Thursday 10 May 2018 20:55:58 bartc wrote:

> On 11/05/2018 01:25, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> > Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>:
> >> Octal makes a lot of sense in the right contexts.
> >
> > I think octal is a historical relic from a time when people weren't
> > yet comfortable with hexadecimal.
>
> It's a relic from when machines had word sizes that were multiples of
> three bits, or were divided up on 3-bit boundaries.
>
> --
> bartc

Maybe so, but isn't it time to fix that?  The first "computer" I ever got
to take home and learn how it worked, was a Quest Super Elf, had an RCA
1802 processor on it. This was winter of 77-78, and it had a monitor
that spoke hexidecimal. I spent that winter exploring it before I set
out to write the program it would run until June 30th 2008 when we
switched from Never Twice Same Color to digital.

So other than the *nix chmod, and some similar stuff in
os9/nitros9/amigados, I have never had to deal with octal. I'm sure the
security people would be pleased if another bit could be expanded into
the permissions that chmod controls, so lets deprecate octal and be done
with it. Computers haven't read a single 8 bit byte in years, some
reading 128 or 256 bits in a single read cycle today. Bring the language
into the 21st century.

Its a dirty job, but somebody will have to do it eventually, why not now?

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)