please test the new PyPI (now in beta)

Sumana Harihareswara sh at changeset.nyc
Sat Mar 31 08:01:55 EDT 2018

Quick note: we've implemented the fix Terry Jan Reedy suggested
regarding window width and filters to fix
https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues/3454 , so thank you to everyone
who helped us nail this down.

The next IRC/Twitter livechat hour with PyPI maintainers is Tuesday,
April 3rd at 15:00 UTC
https://pyfound.blogspot.com/2018/03/warehouse-all-new-pypi-is-now-in-beta.html#livechat
, and if any of you are going to be at PyCon North America in Cleveland
in May, consider joining us for the packaging sprints:
https://wiki.python.org/psf/PackagingSprints

And:

On 03/30/2018 11:03 AM, Paul Moore wrote:
> On 30 March 2018 at 14:38, William Ray Wing <wrw at mac.com> wrote:
>> Sumana, I want to be sure we aren’t just talking past each other.  I notice that the URL you seem to always reference is:
>>
>>         https://pypi.org/search/
>>
>> and if I go there, I get the filter list immediately.  The place I don’t see it is the home page:
>>
>>         https://pypi.org/
>>
>> where I’m invited to “Search” or “Browse”, but where there is no filter list.  The filter list only appears after I’ve performed my first search.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bill
>
> That's the same behaviour as the existing PyPI. There's a "search" box
> on the main page, and a "Browse" link on that page that takes you to a
> separate page that lets you select packages by category. I don't see
> this as a problem with the new PyPI - far from it, I wouldn't want the
> main page cluttered with category filters, if I need then I'll go to
> the dedicated browse page.
>
> Just my 2p worth...
> Paul

Thanks for clarifying, Bill! Yes, I thought you were talking about the
dedicated search page, and now I see what you mean. And thanks for your
thoughts on this, Paul. I wonder whether some lookahead search that
includes suggested facets (specifically, classifiers) springing up as
you type would help? I've updated
https://github.com/pypa/warehouse/issues/3462 accordingly.

--
Sumana Harihareswara