Python Developer Survey: Python 3 usage overtakes Python 2 usage

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Sat Mar 31 05:39:48 EDT 2018

Paul Rubin <no.email at nospam.invalid>:
> All the scripts that say #!/usr/bin/python at the top will still use
> python2.

Which is how it should be till the end of times.

Unfortunately, ArchLinux decided otherwise, which has caused quite a bit
of grief in the office, where a coworker uses it.

We thought we could get around the problem by specifying

   #!/usr/bin/env python2

in all of our scripts, but, regrettably,

   (1) Not all of our python tools are written by us

   (2) MacOS doesn't have a python2 alias for Python2

> Typing "python" or "python xyz.py" at the shell will also use python2.
> Python3 will have really taken over when it's the other way around and
> python2 is the optional install.

I disagree. It is enough for the oldest supported Linux and MacOS distro
to support Python3 out of the box.

Marko