Python Developer Survey: Python 3 usage overtakes Python 2 usage

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Mar 30 19:51:15 EDT 2018

On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 00:42:31 +0300, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:

> Paul Rubin <no.email at nospam.invalid>:
>> Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> writes:
>>> 2017 25% 2.x, 75% 3.x
>>> This is a bigger jump than I anticipated.
>>
>> It's interesting and surprising. I still have not encountered anyone
>> using Python 3 in real life. The main Linux distros still use Python 2
>> by default, afaik. I figured Python 3 adoption would increase if and
>> when that changes.
>
> Yes, RHEL, CentOS and OracleLinux still only support Python2. It may be
> another year before Python3 becomes available on them.

That's incorrect. RHEL and CentOS support Python 3, as python3. It may
not be installed by default, but installing it is easy:

yum install python3

ought to work, although it won't give you the latest 3.x. You can also
install from community repos:

https://janikarhunen.fi/how-to-install-python-3-6-1-on-centos-7.html

or install from source.

OracleLinux, I had no idea that was even a thing until now so I won't
comment on that.

--
Steve